What is a "Confession of Judgement" and how does it work?

A confession of judgment allows the property owner and/or taxpayer to pay off the delinquent tax amount due on a parcel of real property and is offered anytime after delinquent taxes are determined and prior to the expiration of the period of redemption or tax forfeiture. The total delinquent tax amount due on a parcel is combined into a single total sum. The property owner and/or taxpayer who choose this plan agree to pay the single total sum under either a 5-year or a 10-year installment plan (dependent on the classification of the property in which the judgment is being taken out). Yearly payment must be made and current year taxes must be paid or the confession of judgment will be cancelled. A Confession of Judgment is a substitute for the original tax judgment against the parcel of real property. It provides an alternative way of fulfilling the conditions of the original tax judgment. For purpose of clarity and convenience, the phrase, “delinquent tax amount,” is the total sum of the following amounts – Delinquent taxes, special assessments (if any), penalties, costs and interest.

Show All Answers

1. What tax information is available to me from the Auditor-Treasurer's Office?
2. How do I change the mailing address on my tax statements?
3. How are my property taxes calculated?
4. Where do my property tax dollars go?
5. What if I become delinquent on my property taxes?
6. What can I do to protect my property from forfeiture?
7. What is a "Confession of Judgement" and how does it work?
8. What is a "Truth-in-Taxation" (TNT) Notice?
9. When will I receive my current year property tax statement?
10. Why have I received a tax statement when my mortgage company should be paying the taxes?
11. How do I apply for the State Property Tax M1PR Refund?
12. When are my property taxes due?
13. How do I have my manufactured home parcel changed into my name?