The Mille Lacs County Auditor-Treasurer's Office issues a variety of licenses and permits, including:


An auctioneer’s license is required by any individual conducting the business of an auctioneer in the State of Minnesota. To qualify for a license an applicant must be:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • Resident of the county for six months prior to submitting application; or,
  • Resident of the County and State you are claiming residency in for 6 months prior to submitting application, provided that State has reciprocity with the State of Minnesota for Auctioneer Licenses.

The following forms must be completed and accepted prior to issuing a license.

Online application is available at


The Minnesota Gambling Control Board oversees the licensing and regulation of all gambling establishments. The five forms of lawful gambling are:

  • Bingo
  • Paddlewheels
  • Pull-Tabs
  • Raffles
  • Tipboards

The following process must be followed to obtain a gambling license:

  1. Determine which licenses are needed. Visit the Gambling Control Board to review the requirements and to print the necessary forms.
  2. Complete the licensing forms.
  3. Obtain City or Township Approval. Typically, the City or Township Clerk will approve your application. If you reside in a Township, obtain Mille Lacs County approval.
  4. Mail or deliver your application to: Mille Lacs County Auditor’s Office, 635 2nd Street SE, Milaca, MN 56353
  5. The Mille Lacs County Board of Commissioners will review your application at their next Board meeting.
  6. Upon approval, you will receive notice in the mail.
  7. Mail your application package to the Gambling Control Board. The Board will review your application and, if approved, issue your license. The State will also provide you with information on the various gambling reporting requirements.

Remember that your paperwork is due to the MN Gambling Control Board 60 days prior to the proposed start date of your event.


Please contact the Auditor-Treasurer's Office for more information. 

To determine what License would be required please contact our office at 320-983-8310 or the Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement agency at AGE Home - Pages - Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement - Home ( 

Other licenses are available with the Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement Agency Forms/Documents - Forms and Documents ( 

First time applicant can apply online at


Please contact the Auditor-Treasurer's Office for more information.

Transient Merchant

Anyone who engages in any temporary or transient business within Mille Lacs County to sell goods is required to obtain a transient merchant license. 

The term transient merchant means anyone who engages in any temporary and transient business in the State of Minnesota, either in one locality, or in traveling from place to place in this state, selling goods, wares, and merchandise; and who, for the purpose of carrying on such business, hire, lease, occupy, or use a building, structure, vacant lot, or railroad car for the exhibition and sale of such goods, wares, and merchandise. The term transient merchant does not include a seller or exhibitor in a firearms collector show involving two or more sellers or exhibitors. Any person, either as principal or agent, conducting business as a transient merchant without having first obtained a license is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.


Anyone who engages in a fireworks display within Mille Lacs County is required to obtain a fireworks permit. A fireworks display must be conducted only when supervised by an operator certified by the State Fire Marshal. A fireworks display must either be given by a municipality or fair association within its own limits, or by any other organization, whether public or private, only after a permit for the display has first been secured.

  • For an indoor fireworks display applications must be submitted to the state fire marshal.
  • For an outdoor fireworks display inside the city limits, applications must be submitted to the city.
  • For outdoor fireworks displays conducted outside the city limits, applications must be submitted to the Auditor-Treasurer's Office 15 days in advance of the display date.

Online application is available at