Septic System Compliance & Permitting
For properties without a connection to municipal sewage treatment systems, Minnesota Administrative Rule Chapters 7080 through 7083 and the Mille Lacs County Subsurface Sewage Treatment System Ordinance (PDF) require waste water and sewage to be treated by a Subsurface Sewage Treatment System (SSTS).
SSTS must be designed and installed by licensed SSTS installers and designers certified by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA).
Permits, issued by Mille Lacs County Environmental Resources, are required for the following:
Greenbush Township administers their own SSTS program. Residents in Greenbush township seeking SSTS information need to contact the Township.
Mille Lacs County requires that SSTS be inspected when one of the following occurs:
- For all new construction in the shoreland or wild and scenic river district
- Prior to issuance of a permit or variance to add a bedroom to a structure
- Prior to the sale or transfer of property
Installations, designs, and compliance inspections are completed by licensed individuals certified by the MPCA. A The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency maintains of a list of all certified individuals; a list of local SSTS contractors is also available:
For compliance inspection or existing system information please email our SSTS staff or call 320-983-8458.
- Holding Tank Service Agreement (PDF)
- Homeowner Notice of Permitted Installer Change (PDF)
- Homeowner-Installed System Indemnification Agreement (PDF)
- Subsurface Sewage Treatment System As-Built Form (PDF)
- Subsurface Sewage Treatment System Compliance Inspection and Installation Agreement (PDF)
- Subsurface Sewage Treatment System Floodplain Construction Addendum (PDF)
- Subsurface Sewage Treatment System Permit Application (PDF)
- Temporary Holding Tank Service Agreement (PDF)