Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory disease that was first detected in December 2019, and has now been detected in almost 70 locations internationally, including in the United States. While many cases may be mild to moderate with symptoms similar to colds and flu, some cases may be more severe. The risk of severe illness seems to be higher for older people and those with underlying health conditions.
There is currently no vaccine to prevent Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, the CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
In an effort to help you find resources faster, we have included a number of different ones from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) below.
This is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Minnesota Department of Health will provide the most up-to-date information on specific numbers and spread of this disease.
For more information about COVID-19:
- Center for Disease Control’s COVID-19 website
- Minnesota Department of Health COVID-19 website
- MDH COVID-19 Public Hotline: 1-833-431-2053
Monday-Friday: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
COVID-19 Hotline: 1-833-431-2053
Minnesota Department of Health school and child care questions: 651-297-1304. Available 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Basic information on how to prevent the spread of COVID - 19
- Minnesota COVID-19 Model (PDF)
- Symptoms of COVID-19 (PDF)
- Stay Home if You’re Sick (PDF)
- Cover your Cough (PDF)
- Stop the Spread of Germs (PDF)
- Germ-Buster Wash Hands (PDF)
- How To Use Waterless Hand Sanitizer (PDF)
- Don’t spread germs-work employers (PDF)
- The President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America: 15 Days to Slow the Spread (PDF)
- Community Mitigation: Strategies to Slow the Spread of COVID-19 in Minnesota (PDF)
- MDH recommends public buildings remain open, so long as they can maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet between persons.
- MDH recommends implementing the following mitigation strategies. These have been adapted from CDC: Implementation of Mitigation Strategies for Communities with Local COVID-19 Transmission. You may also view Strategies to Slow the Spread of COVID-19 in Minnesota on MDH’s website.
- Covid-19 Sports Guidance for Youth and Adults (MDH)
- FAQs: Updated COVID-19 Guidance for Youth and Adult Sports (MDH)
- Make a Plan MN to help Families Prepare for Potential Illness (GOV)
- Prevention of COVID in group home settings (MDH)
State of Minnesota: Executive Orders regarding COVID-19
View all Executive Orders online at the Office of Governor Tim Walz & Lt. Governor Peggy Flanagan’s website.
Small Business Resources
- COVID-19: Small Business Resources
- DHS and USDA Move to Protect American Farmers and Ensure Continued Flow of America’s Food Supply
- Emergency Financial Assistance for Small Businesses, Startups, and Non-Profit Organizations (PDF)
- Employee Rights & Unemployment
- Funding Resources for Food Shelves & Transportation Services
- Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to COVID-19
- Minnesota Department of Revenue Extending Sales & Use Tax Grace Period
- Work Site Updates Related to COVID-19 (DLI)
Several documents have been updated including the COVID-19 Preparedness Plan and industry guidance FAQs.
- Re-opening Swimming Pools and Aquatic Facilities (MDH)
- FAQs: Bars, Restaurants, and Other Places of Public Accommodation (MDH)
- Preparedness Planning for Janitorial and Custodial Services (GOV)
- What to do if an Employee has COVID-19 (MDH)
- MN Small Business Relief Grants (DEED)
Other Resource Links
- COVID-19: What To Do If You Are Sick
- COVID-19 and Pregnancy FAQs
- COVID-19 and Children FAQs
- Interim Guidance: Get Your Community and Faith-Based Organizations Ready for COVID-19
- Minnesota COVID-19 Modeling
- Preventing the spread of COVID - 19 in long-term care facilities
- The Office of Governor Tim Walz & Lt. Governor Peggy Flanagan: COVID-19 Updates
- University of Minnesota: COVID-19 Resources