New Reserve Deputies attend an in-house training academy which includes:
- Defensive tactics and impact weapons
- Introduction to the other units within the Sheriff’s Office (K-9, SERT, etc.)
- Introduction to radio system training
- Office policies
- Overview of the responsibility of a Reserve Deputy
- Patrol tactics and squad car equipment
- Traffic direction
Reserve Deputies do not carry firearms, but firearms familiarization is included in the training.
Upon completion of the Reserve Academy, each candidate is provided with uniforms free of charge by the Mille Lacs County Sheriff’s Office.
The Reserve Unit also holds monthly meetings at which current law enforcement and office issues are discussed. Additionally, each meeting features a training topic. These meetings are held on the Last Sunday of each month and last approximately 3 hours. Reserve Deputies may also receive training at other scheduled training sessions.