Marriage Licenses & Certificates

As of Wednesday, November 14, 2018, you may apply for a marriage license online via the Minnesota Official Marriage System (MOMS(R)). To apply for a marriage license, complete and submit the online application

Within 90 days, both applicants need to appear in person at the Recorder's Office to sign the application, show identification, and pay the license fee. A marriage license is valid for 6 months.


License TypeFee
Marriage License$115
Marriage License with Certificate of Premarital Education$40

Notice to a marriage applicant with a felony conviction.

Effective August 1st, 2023 Legislation does not allow for a person who has a felony conviction to change their name through the marriage process.  The name change process must be completed through the district court.

MN Residents - Minnesota Statute 259.10 lays out the requirements for a MN resident to apply for a name change through the district court.  M.S. 259.13, subd. 5 allows a person with a felony conviction to apply for a name change through the district court for no fee if the person files the action within 180 days after the marriage and a certified copy of the marriage certificate is submitted to the court.

Non-MN Residents – Contact the district court for your county of residence for further guidance.

  1. Certificates