Applying for a Passport
We highly encourage you to visit the U.S. Department of State to obtain the most current and complete information for obtaining or renewing a passport. The U.S. Department of State's website is also an invaluable travel resource; relaying the most up to date information on travel warnings, helpful information for international travel and so much more.
For current information, questions or to schedule an appointment at a Processing Facility for immediate/emergency travel, you may also contact the National Passport Information Center at:
- Phone: 877-487-2778
- Telecommunication Device for the Deaf Phone: 877-874-7793
You may complete the passport application form online and print it, or complete an application at our office (635 2nd Street SE) in black ink.
- Picture identification, such as driver's license, military identification, state ID, etc.
- Official Certified Birth Certificate
- The birth certificate must have State or County seal-hospital issued birth certificates are not an official document! This can be obtained from the Mille Lacs County Recorder’s Office for a $26 fee if the applicant was born in Minnesota after 1935.
Photos may be taken before you arrive or may be taken at the Auditor-Treasurer's Office. Photos taken at the Auditor-Treasurer's Office will be done for a fee of $10.
If taken elsewhere, photos must meet many requirements; here are some highlights to look over prior to arriving:
- Photos should be 2 inches by 2 inches.
- Photos should be clear and crisp, not fuzzy or grainy.
- Photos must be against a white background.
- Occasionally photos will get a blue/yellow/orange hue to them, even though the background mat was white. This can be caused by lighting and flash. If this happens, they will have to be re-taken.
- Photos should not have flash burn (white spots). If this happens, they will have to be re-taken.
- Head/face must meet template size.
Two payments per application are needed:
- A check or money order goes with the application and will be made out to the Department of State. Do not make this check out ahead of time.
- The second payment is for the execution fee. Since this fee is payable to the county, acceptable methods of payment are:
- Certified checks
- Credit/debit card (Note: there is a 2.35% (or $1.95 minimum) fee for using a credit/debit card)
- Money order
- Personal checks
Download the passport fees list (PDF).
The passport process can be expedited for additional fees. Contact the Auditor/Treasurer’s Office at 320-983-8310 with additional questions.
Note: all returned checks are subject to a $30 charge.
Tips for Fast Processing
- Fill out the passport application ahead of time download application forms from the Passport Services website.
- Avoid the lunch hour or the end of the day.
- Avoid days right before or after holidays.
- Be aware that we may be busier during school breaks (passport season).
Passports for Minors (Ages 17 & Under)
- For children under age 16, it is required that both parents are present, as well as the child.
- For children ages 16 and 17, only one parent need be present.
Other Requirements & Information
- All applicants must be ready to apply in person at least 1/2 hour prior to closing to assure enough processing time.
- For picture identification for ages 16 and up, there are other forms that are potentially acceptable, but they may require multiple forms to satisfy.
- Visit the official website for passport information. This site also provides beneficial information about traveling in other countries.
- To apply at the Minneapolis Passport Agency, you must schedule an appointment by calling toll-free at 877-487-2778, open 24 hours a day. When you make the appointment, you must let them know you are planning on applying at the Minneapolis Passport Agency.
- As of June 1, 2009, U. S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, most commonly a U. S. Passport or a Passport Card.
- Passports take approximately four to eight weeks to process. If your travel plans require a passport sooner than that, there are other options available to you to expedite your passport. Please note that this will also increase the overall price of the passport.
- Please be advised that the Passport Processing Facility is the final adjudicator of your passport. While we strive to ensure you are submitting all of the required and appropriate documentation, you may be asked to submit additional or different documentation to support your passport application. Please respond promptly and directly to the Passport Processing Facility for all requests for additional documentation.