Starting January 1, 2020 Mille Lacs County recycling drop sites will have new hours and locations. Recycling drop sites will be located in Isle, Milaca, Onamia, and Princeton; two of the four drop sites will have 24 hour availability, and all drop sites will accept single-sort recycling.
Recyclables are transported to the Minden Transfer Station operated by Republic Services in St. Cloud, Minnesota. These materials are ultimately transported to a material recovery facility where recyclables are mechanically sorted. Because of this mechanical sorting process boxes must be broken down and no plastic bags or shredded paper are allowed. This short video shows how a material recovery facility separates the different types of recyclable materials.
Hours, Locations & Acceptable Materials
- Place all recyclables loosely in the recycling container - no plastic bags. Plastic bags and films can be brought to participating businesses (https://www.plasticfilmrecycling.org/).
- Break down cardboard boxes.
- Make sure recyclable materials are clean and dry.
- Place caps back on all recyclables after they’re emptied.
- Only deposit materials that are on the accepted materials list.
- If you see someone actively dumping materials that aren’t accepted, please contact local law enforcement. If you see unacceptable materials that have already been dumped, please contact Environmental Resources at (320) 983-8325.
Agricultural plastics are not accepted at the Mille Lacs County recycling sites; however, Pine County is extending an invitation to Mille Lacs County residents to participate in their free agricultural plastic collection. Accepted materials include agricultural film plastics (bale wrap, silage bags, bunker covers); other #4 LDPE plastic films approved by Pine County may also be accepted. Net wrap and twine are not accepted. Please contact Pine County Planning, Zoning and Solid Waste Department at (320) 216-4220 to be placed on their email list to be contacted about 2020 collection dates.
Plastics must be delivered in Revolution Plastics recapture bags. These bags can be purchased through Blue Lake Plastics LLC, located at 44567 421st Street, Sauk Centre, MN 56378. They can be reached at (320) 333-9255. While there is a charge for the recapture bags, there is no charge for collection.
During the collection period agricultural plastics must be delivered to the Hinckley Transfer Station located at 33198 County Highway 61, Hinckley, MN 55037. Transfer station hours are Monday – Friday 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. and Saturday 8 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. The transfer station has a payloader and may be available to assist with unloading; it is recommended to use a flatbed trailer and call ahead if you’d like assistance unloading.